Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Meet Young Adult Author Jodie Cooper!


I am pleased to feature young adult author, Jodie Cooper today. She is the author of two series featuring young adult paranormal romance. Her latest release, Stolen, has just come out. We are very excited to learn more about the new book and the series in general.

Thank you for agreeing to answer my questions. I hope we have plenty of fun!


Jodie: Thanks for asking me!

ME: When did the writing muse approach you?

I've always loved to write, but for the Sídhí series it hit 2 ½ years ago.

Why did you start writing?

I wrote in my teens, but quit to find a 'real' job. I finally came to my senses… many, many years later after quitting my job as a tax accountant.

I know what you mean there. Sometimes those ‘real’ jobs are more of a headache when the writer in you wants to come out, right?
J

Absolutely!

Where did you get the inspiration for your Sidhi series?

LOL - Trial and error. I knew I wanted to write YA paranormal romance, but I loved all the paranormal races, not only one. I wanted to create a world that had a little bit of everything, but had a solid structure behind the story. A world that was completely different from anything on the market. One idea built on the next one, and so on.

You have two separate series, Sídhí Summer Camp & Song of the Sídhí.  Will you tell us a little about both?

At the moment, all of the Sídhí books are intertwined in a small (or large) way. The Song of the Sídhí series are all shorter stories under 25,000 words. Each book is about a pair of lifeMates who find each other amid whatever problem/chaos I dream up for them.

The Sídhí Summer Camp books are longer and have more than one major plot line. Forbidden Temptation is 76,000 words. In the beginning, I planned for each book in Summer Camp series to revolve around a single couple, but I like intertwining the lives of my characters. Sídhí Summer Camp #2 will include characters from A Dragon's Dream of Love, #2 in the Song of the Sídhí series.

I like how you write out lifeMate. That’s interesting. I also like the idea of bringing some previous characters back. It's nice to see some familiar faces.

What are their similarities?

The characters will always have a HEA, Happily Ever After. They might wish they were dead, but the HEA will eventually happen. Every Sídhí has a destined lifeMate.

What are their differences?

Length and plot lines are the primary differences. Each book in Song of the Sídhí series has a primary plot that will always be wrapped up by the end of the story. They also have secondary plot lines that will be wrapped up within one of the Sídhí Summer Camp books. The secondary plots are usually minor and provide a way to intertwine the series for greater enjoyment.

What is your writing process?

Depending on the mood I'm in, it tends to change.


Since I have the world of the Sídhí created, I can focus on characters and events. In A Dragon's Dream of Love, I created a female character. Second, I decided what type hero would both aggravate her and adore her. Third, I made up a list of the horrible things that might happen.

If I didn't make that list, the book would end in three chapters with them kissing and looking all goo-goo eyed at each other.


That’s so funny, and it’s interesting that it works for you like that. Just goes to show how many similarities and differences there are between authors and their crafting. I’ve tried to do a synopsis and outline, but I always veer so far off of it that I end up discarding it. I wish I could plan it out, but my characters just seem to take over. Does that ever happen to you?


Yes, they become quite demanding.

How long did it take you to complete?

That's a tough question, because each book is different. Forbidden Temptation took the longest. I wrote it then decided it was horrible.

Yes, it really was horrid. It had blood-sucking druids in it and the writing style was all over the place. It had no POV structure, no tension, no action… After 'tearing' the story into pieces and dozens of revisions later, literally months of re-working the story, I finished it.

The shorter stories take two weeks up to a month to write and edit. The amount of time I spend on a specific story depends on whether I stay focused on that specific book. When I write, focus rarely happens. I normally work on several projects at one time and I am always going off on a 'new idea' tangent.


Each project has its own story!
What is your target age group?

Fifteen and up. The books have some sexual content as well as cussing. I've found many of my readers are in the twenty to forty year range, which was a very pleasant surprise.

How many books are you planning to include? If so, what will your future projects entail?

I have partial books and sketched-out story lines running out of my ears! I have (at minimum) five more stories for the Sídhí Summer Camp series. I have a near dozen stories partially written or planned for Song of the Sídhí series. I have several Sídhí stories partially written for a 'Sídhí on Earth' series. :sigh: I also have several non-Sídhí stories nearly completed that only need endings.

When it comes to writing, my imagination over flows and I can't catch up! For example, take my new blog, Sídhí World News. I write articles (short micro fiction) about news

events that happen within the world of the Sídhí such as Escaped Werewolves, Vampires in Dallas, Angel Sightings, Sasquatch Attack…

Excellent! That means you will be publishing for some time still.
Will you begin a third series eventually?

Yes, the Sídhí on Earth series, but the name may change.

Do you write full-time?

Yes, at the moment, I write full-time.

If not, what do you do to pay your bills?

I'm looking for a 'real' job for during the day.
J

You have just released Stolen, the third book in your Song of the Sídhí series. Can you tell us a little bit about it?

Every vampire has a destined mate. Eric is Katrina's mate, but he doesn't know it.

Katrina's high school rival literally steals Eric from her by twisting a very old 'unspoken' Sídhí law.

It's a story about finding and losing what is most precious to a vampire, their mate.

This story actually takes place prior to Forbidden Temptation of a Vampire. In Stolen, you will meet Jared and Clarisse, two characters from Forbidden.


Where can we find you online?

Website: http://www.jodiebcooper.com/
Sídhí World News Blog: http://sidhinews.blogspot.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/JodieBCooper
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JodieBCooper

Where are your series available for purchase?

Most online retailers, such as Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, and All Romance.

Do you have a release date for your next book?

Sorry, not yet. I'm working on Forbidden Valley, Sídhí Summer Camp #2, but another story keeps popping in my head demanding my attention. I'm not sure which one will be finished first. I'm hoping (fingers crossed) for late September.

With all those ideas and stories, I don’t blame you. Keep at it! It sounds as though you’ve got a really big web of characters and situations to work with. Thank you, Jodie, for taking the time to answer my questions. I am looking forward to your future works and wish you all the best of luck with your newest, Stolen.

Collette, thank you very much for the interview it was a lot of fun! Good luck on your new release, Hannah's Blessing.

Jodie B. Cooper

Thank you! J





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Collette,

Thanks so much for the interview. I had so much fun!

Have a great day!

Jodie

Collette said...

It was my pleasure. I enjoyed learning more about your series, Jodie, so anytime you want to come back again feel free! :)